As part of our Bag It Up + Reuse! project, we’re giving away free reusable bags across north London. You can then pledge to use it and you'll be entered into a prize draw! Find out more and help waste less, and save more money too.
How it works
After the government introduced the 5p plastic bag charge for large shops and supermarkets, we wanted find a way to help customers of smaller shops reuse their bags. So for a third time, we’ve teamed up with 21 north London shops and provided them with around 100 reusable bags each, to offer to their customers for free.
Once you’ve picked up one of our reusable bags, you also have the chance to win a copy of our North London Food Lovers’ Cookbook, which is full of recipes which help to use up commonly leftover ingredients. All you have to do to enter is put your details into the form on our Bag It Up pledge page.
Why is bag reuse important?
Plastic bags are a big environmental problem. They take a long time to degrade, can damage wildlife and often end up littering our streets and parks. The government 5p levy on single use plastic bags has dramatically helped reduce the number of plastic bags in circulation with the seven biggest supermarkets reporting a reduction of more than 85% in the first six active months. This is great news, however as the charge does not affect small retailers there is more work that can be done to encourage customers of these stores to switch to using reusable bags. The businesses themselves will also be able to save money by not having to purchase plastic bags.
Find your nearest participating shop
Find your nearest participating small retailer from the list below, and pick up your free reusable bag!
- The Green Shop, 343 Ballards Lane, Barnet, N12 8LJ
- Carters Pharmacy, 321 Ballards Lane, Barnet, N12 8LT
- Broadberry Shoes, 743 High Road, Barnet, N12 0BP
- The Property Maintainance Shop, 195 Kentish Town Road, Camden, NW5 2JU
- Ace Sports, 6 Fortess Road, Camden, NW5 2ES
- Mercury Stores 43 Chalcot Road, Camden, NW1 8LS
- Nirvana Health, 321 Green Lanes, Enfield, N13 4TY
- Cooper Chemist, 364 Bowes Road, Enfield, N11 1AH
- Pure Health, 56 Chase Side, Enfield, N14 5PA
- Gallo Nero II, 75 Stoke Newington High Street, Hackney, N16 8EL
- Basak Food and Wine, 70-74 Stoke Newington Road, Hackney, N16 7XB
- Stoke Newington Pound Plus Cash and Carry, 112 Stoke Newington High Street, Hackney, N16 6NY
- Top Balloon, 90 Stroud Green Road, Haringey, N4 3DZ
- Muswell Hill Bookshop, 72 Fortis Green Road, Haringey, N10 3HN
- Anil Supermarket, 542 High Road, Haringey, N17 9SY
- Upper Street Hardware, 204 Upper Street, Islington, N1 1RQ
- Ladies Fashion Designer House at Factory Prices, 151 Fonthill Road, Islington N4 3HF
- Stroud Green Fruit and Veg, 73 Stroud Green Road, Islington, N4 3EG
- Hardware Hut, 221 High Street, Waltham Forest, E17 7BH
- Hamid Fabric, 52a High Street, Waltham Forest, E17 7LD
- 100s, 181 High Street, Waltham Forest, E17 7BX
Waste less and save more
Using a reusable bag is just one of the many ways that you can waste less and save more money. For more information on the small changes you can make at home and elsewhere check out our Waste Less, Save More household guide.