Our popular Waste Less, Lunch Free events are back this summer. From August to September, we will deliver seven Waste Less, Lunch Free events, one in each of the north London boroughs (Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Hackney, Haringey, Islington and Waltham Forest).
What’s it all about?
The average family could save £810 per year if they reduced the amount of food they waste. For the average person, the value of food wasted is estimated to be £230 each year.
At our Waste Less, Lunch Free events, passers-by can watch live cookery demonstrations and will be offered free tasters of the food that has been prepared. All food will be made from ingredients that would otherwise have gone to waste and recipes will be inspired from the North London Food Lovers' Cookbook. Attendees will also have the chance to speak to trained staff who provide advice on how to waste less food and save money, or recycle inedible food waste.
Last year across the events, we managed to speak with 2,543 people about reducing their food waste, and gave them free information leaflets and portion-measuring tools to help. We also spoke with 1,525 residents about food waste recycling, because some unavoidable food waste, such as bones and fruit stones, can be collected by the local council and recycled.
Find an event near you
The 2018 Waste Less, Lunch Free events are listed below. Find the event nearest to you.
- Barnet on Wednesday 15 August (11am - 3pm) at The Broadwalk Centre, The Broadwalk Centre, Centre Management, Station Road, Edgware HA8 7BD
- Camden on Thursday 20 September (9am – 3 pm) at Queens Crescent Market, Queens Crescent, London NW5 4H
- Enfield on Sunday 09 September (10am - 3pm) at Forty Hall Farmer's Market, Forty Hall Farm, Enfield EN2 9HA
- Hackney on Friday 17 August (10am - 3pm) at Ridley Road Market, Ridley Road, London, E8 2NP
- Haringey on Saturday 18 August (11am - 3pm) at Hollywood Green (Wood Green High Rd), 180 High Rd, Wood Green, London N22 6EJ
- Islington on Wednesday 05 September (11am - 3pm) at Angel Central Shopping Centre, 21 Parkfield Street, N1 0PS
- Waltham Forest on Saturday 22 September (11am – 3pm) at John's Church, Leytonstone, High Rd, Leytonstone